“Plan to find areas wherein the mind of your customer, you can make the impossible truly possible.” – DJ Sebastian in today’s Tip 1165
What’s your thought about this?
Join the conversation below and share your thoughts!
DJ Sebastian on LinkedIn
Submit a Sales Tip
Have feedback? Want to share a sales tip? Call or text the Sales Success Hotline: 512-777-1442 or Email: [email protected]
Scott Ingram: You’re listening to the Daily Sales Tips podcast and I’m your host, Scott Ingram. Today’s tip comes from DJ Sebastian. As a top-producing sales executive for some of the best technology companies, DJ learned that to become great at selling, you must be a great communicator. Now, as a sales coach and author, DJ’s mission is to help the next generation of B2B sales professionals become elite sellers. Here he is:
DJ Sebastian: Zig Zigler, the great author, salesman, and motivational speaker, said this, “You can have everything in life you want if you will just help other people get what they want.” The most valuable and trusted salespeople are those who become Proactive Advisors. Here are the steps they take.
1. Give value first, solve a problem or make a recommendation, even if doing so does not involve anything you can sell. This is an excellent way to demonstrate that you are committed to engage with your customer as an advisor for the long term, not just for a quick transaction.
2. Become the subject matter expert of your company and your solution and the business value you can help generate for your customer.
3. Hold the key to unlocking the unique and substantial business value you can help deliver to your customer.
4. Proactively bring innovative ideas to the table where your customer will gain market share, expand regional presence, improve their competitive position and increase their brand reputation. Maybe your solution does not have the broad reach to greatly impact every one of those areas, but even at a departmental or divisional level, you should be able to find a couple of areas where you and your solution can have a substantial positive impact on your customers business.
5. Plan to find areas wherein the mind of your customer, you can make the impossible truly possible. You will find yourself in discussions where you unveil a capability and your customer will say, “Wow. I didn’t even know that was possible.” Never assume that your customer understands every capability available in the marketplace. Take every opportunity to ‘Wow’ them.
Laura was a rising star in the sales profession. Her peers called her Wonder Woman. She possessed boundless energy, successfully balancing a fulfilling personal life with a productive occupation. While she was dedicated to her family and community service, she still carved out the time necessary to have a successful sales career. Her services were in high demand and after achieving success with one company, she made a set of strategic career moves to other companies, not because she was forced to, but because she believed climbing the steps to more responsibility was required to build her personal brand.
Each new sales role presented an opportunity for growth and for gaining expertise in a new segment of the market. Laura called on the same companies in the same industries. She leveraged her connections to gain access and to advance major selling opportunities. Doors were opened because Laura was trusted in prior dealings. In multiple cases, she sold similar solutions, provided by different vendors to the same company. This would not have been possible had Laura not earned the trust and respect of her customers. Her conversations were consultative and she proactively advised her customer in areas that could improve their business even if the solution was not one that she sold. Naturally, additional interactions gave her the opportunity to introduce new solutions and explain how they could address new areas in better and faster ways. Laura knew her customer’s needs very well, sometimes even better than their own employees. As a result, this Wonder Woman achieved sustained success and commanded a premium position in her industry.
Scott Ingram: To connect with DJ on LinkedIn and for a transcript of this tip, just click over to DailySales.Tips/1165. Once you’ve done that, come right back for another great sales tip. Thanks for listening!